Selling your home quickly is something most people do not plan to do. If we buy a home to live in, we generally live there until a significant change occurs in our lives.
Owning a property is the biggest investment most people will make. The reason for this is simple: we all need a place to live and where better to place a large sum of money than in a house or flat we can live in!
Here are some of the top five mistakes when selling your home quickly, and how to avoid them.
Selling your home quickly at the wrong price
A seller’s worst nightmare is to sell their home and the following week realise a neighbouring property sold for thousands more.
Selling your home quickly can mean you may forget to look into exactly how much your house is worth. For this reason, it is important to do this when selling your home quickly.
The best way to avoid a situation like this is to make sure you know the value of your home. Sites such as Zoopla and Rightmove have price-estimate tools that you can use when selling your home quickly. Also, Rightmove offers a free historical price tool to advise you of the exact prices of properties that have sold in your area.
Selling your home quickly at the wrong time of year
In life, there’s a season for everything and this includes when to sell your home. For example, Christmas is synonymous with shortbread, gingerbread cookies, and yuletide carols. However, selling your home quickly during Christmas may result in your not receiving your ideal asking price.
Home Owners Alliance recommends spring and autumn as the best time to sell your house.
Selling your home quickly at the wrong time of year can be avoided by making sure you do research into your area to know when the best times to sell are.
Selling your home quickly at the wrong economic season
As the saying goes, what goes up must come down. This statement also holds true for house prices, which often rise or fall with little warning. Unfortunately, houses sometimes need to be sold despite the state of the market. As a result, selling your home quickly at the wrong economic season can result in needing to sell a property for less than you would like.
Selling your home quickly when the property market has flattened will make it harder to get the price your want. The best way to avoid a situation like this is to pay close attention to what is going on in the property market. This way, you will be able to gauge when the market may take a turn for the worse.
Selling your home quickly and not instructing a conveyancing solicitor fast enough
When selling your home quickly it is important to demonstrate follow-through. The last thing you want is to secure your property at the correct price and then have the sale fall through because you could not find an appropriate conveyancing solicitor.
Instructing a good solicitor early is very important. The role of the seller’s solicitor is to ensure that there are no irregularities in the selling process and to give advice on how to deal with such irregularities.
A good resource to use when looking for a conveyancing solicitor is The Law Society.
Selling your home quickly and not presenting it nicely
Selling your home quickly means that first impression you give a potential buyer is very important.
You don’t need to spend a lot of money on creating curb appeal, but here are some of the best ways to make buyers stop and look at your property:
- Do immediate repairs on the outside of the house. Eyesores such as broken fences and damaged gutters should be dealt with before a viewing. Plant flowers or put a couple of designer pots outside your door.
- Paint the house. A fresh coat of paint adds style to an otherwise tired and drab flat – creamy white is usually the best choice because it’s neutral and the buyer will imagine their furniture fitting in. Pale colours make the place look bigger and lighter.
- Keep vases of fresh flowers around the house. Lay the table. Light a fire if it’s appropriate.
- Maintain a clean and tidy home at all times. It might sound obvious, but you would be surprised how many clients we have met who have not followed this simple rule.
- Take down family photos and store away souvenirs. In fact store as much as possible offsite so that there is no clutter. Put the children’s toys in the cupboard. You are allowing the buyer to imagine living in this space.
There is an art and science to selling your home quickly. The seller needs to be able to attract a buyer who is willing to pay as close to their asking price in a fraction of the time. As a result, you need to do everything you can to make your home as appealing as possible. We hope some of the tips we outlined are helpful if you end up selling your home quickly.